For info on becoming a docent with AMOA-Arthouse please contact Kate Wurtzel via email or call 512.453.5312 x104.
AMOA-Arthouse values its 38-year-old docent program as an important contribution to the Austin community. AMOA-Arthouse docents lead tours at the Jones Center and Laguna Gloria. Volunteers at the Jones Center offer tours that focus on the history of the building and its current exhibitions featuring modern and contemporary art. Volunteers at Laguna Gloria offer tours that focus on the historic Villa; its original owner and Texas legend Clara Driscoll; the picturesque grounds and gardens; and intimate art exhibitions featuring modern and contemporary art.
Benefits of being an AMOA-Arthouse docent include:
• in-depth training covering both locations
• opportunity to meet exhibition artists and curators
• monthly trainings focusing on tour techniques, art history, and discussions
• visits to artists’ studios and collectors’ homes
• opportunity to learn how to look at art and how to talk about contemporary art
• chance to meet others who enjoy looking at and talking about art
Requirements for becoming an AMOA-Arthouse docent include:
• current AMOA-Arthouse membership
• 2 year commitment
• Minimum of 4 hours a month set aside for trainings
• Minimum of 12 tours/year